Tuesday, January 24, 2006

Borrow 'em or buy 'em, take your pick!

A Jacksonville institution, and one of my favorite places to visit, is branching out into a second location that is LESS THAN A BLOCK FROM WHERE I WORK!

From Financial News and Daily Record:
It may seem kind of odd to open a book store within a long paragraph or two from a brand new library, but that is exactly what Ron Chamblin, owner of Chamblin Bookmine on Roosevelt Boulevard, has in mind.

Last week, Chamblin purchased a two-story building on Laura Street near the Main Library and has started the process of renovating the structure which was built in 1904. When the addition to the Westside store is complete and the downtown Bookmine opens for business, Chamblin said he'll have 32,000 square feet of inventory on the shelves at the two locations. The store is well-known among Jacksonville bibliophiles for its "used, rare and non-existent" books.

"I've got five storage buildings full of books that I don't have room to stock right now," said Chamblin. "I've been looking for a downtown location for about a year now and being a half a block from the library is a great place to be."

Suddenly my lunch hours don't seem nearly as boring anymore.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow! My favorite librarian off-duty recreational activity: going to bookstores!

I know it's weird, but....

:-)