Monday, September 08, 2008

Whither, Brian Atene?



About a week ago, Brian Atene deleted his YouTube account. This is at least the third time he's done so, and I can only assume his reason for doing so now is the same as it was then: A bout of melancholy in regards to his life and his fifteen minutes of fame.

For those unfamiliar with Atene and his fifteen minutes, here's the backstory. I myself was intrigued by the man. I watched his videos regularly, commented on them, and as recently as several months ago reassured him that a number of his subscribers and fans were there because we liked him. We were most assuredly laughing with him, not at him.

But I imagine there were others that were not as kind, and that's what probably got to him. The video that started it all reminded him of his young aspirations. Those aspirations came to naught, as he detailed in further videos his life as a "professional waiter". But perhaps worse than the abandoned career plans was the fact that many who watched the video would believe his failure was a result of an abysmal lack of talent rather than, like a lot of actors, just not catching the right breaks.

I hope he's OK (he joked about suicide in one video while rattling a full bottle of nembutals). I'll keep looking for him every now and then to see if he's changed his mind once more.

Stay Gold, Brian.

No comments: