Wednesday, April 04, 2007

Skippy(s) of the Day: Right Wing Bloggers

Think Progress has just posted a story about how Right Wing Bloggers are going apoplectic over Nancy Pelosi wearing a head scarf while visiting the tomb of John the Baptist in Damascus. Here are the examples they have posted:

HotAir: "The campaign commercial practically writes itself. Ah well. A woman must know her place when entering a mosque. … It pains the left too, I'm sure, to see the most powerful woman in America having to yield, however slightly, to a misogynistic culture's expectations, but they can't vent their anger at the people responsible so they'll vent it at Charles or me or whomever instead."

Instapundit: FEMINIST IN AMERICA, subservient in Syria.

The New Editor: "This picture disgusts me. What message is Nancy Pelosi trying to send? Are women equal to men, or not? Why is modesty foisted only upon women?"

Little Green Footballs: "Pelosi in a Hijab. The modern Democratic leadership. How … quaint."

The post then follows this with this picture.


That's right. That's the First Lady kowtowing to those heathen when she visited a Mosque in Jerusalem.

Hey, guys. How about this? How about being respectful and polite when you visit other cultures? How about showing some humility for once in your pathetic little lives?

Back when I visited England years and years ago, I was going through a phase where I wore a baseball cap pretty much wherever I went. Upon entering my first Cathedral, I was asked by one of the staff to please remove my hat.

Was I Catholic? No. Was I British? No. I was and am American. And despite the example set by these overgrown fratboys passing themselves off as pundits, I did not go into a rage and tell the guy where he could f*%king stick it. Instead, I removed my hat and proceeded to enjoy the Cathedral.

It's called respect. No matter how many weapons we have and how much weight we throw around, we're not going to be able to effect any change without earning other country's respect.

Pelosi's trip is just a small first step. We will start this process in earnest come Inauguration Day in January 2009.

No comments: