Saturday, January 01, 2011

Chiwetel Ejiofor Quote of the Month: January 2011


I hesitated in using Chiwetel Ejiofor for my 2011 Quote-of-the-Month pick. Though the man is brilliant and is certainly deserving of a year on my blog, his resume is shorter than previous subjects (and thus less movies to choose from for when I'm gathering quotes). However, given that the Mosley household signed up with Netflix last month, I suddenly have a lot more access to films than I used to. So Chiwetel Ejiofor it is!

And out first quote is from a favorite of Geeks everywhere: Serenity. Joss Whedon created a very believable and in some cases sympathetic villain with The Operative, and Ejiofor's terrific performance very much does it justice:
The Operative: "I'm sorry. If your quarry goes to ground, leave no ground to go to. You should have taken my offer. Or did you think none of this was your fault?"

Capt. Malcolm Reynolds: "I don't murder children."

The Operative: "I do. If I have to."

Capt. Malcolm Reynolds: "Why? Do you even know why they sent you?"

The Operative: "It's not my place to ask. I believe in something greater than myself. A better world. A world without sin."

Capt. Malcolm Reynolds: "So me and mine gotta lay down and die... so you can live in your better world?"

The Operative: "I'm not going to live there. There's no place for me there... any more than there is for you. Malcolm... I'm a monster.What I do is evil. I have no illusions about it, but it must be done."

No comments: