Wednesday, September 15, 2004

Doing my part for the troops

About a two months ago, I came across a news item at Satellite News. It concerned a couple who formed a group to send donated "Mystery Science Theater 3000" episodes to the troops in Iraq and Afghanistan. For those who are fans of the now cancelled series, myself included, this is a great idea. Unlike a lot of television these days, MST3K bears repeat viewings, and there's nothing better than kicking back and watching these familiar wise-asses tear to shreds some cinematic abomination.

So, I sent in my donation about a month ago. Ideally, my copy of "Manos: The Hands of Fate" will find its way into the hands of a soldier/fan stationed in some urban nightmare like Baghdad. Then, when they get some down time, they can cue up the DVD on a laptop and think back to more relaxing times in front of the TV at home when a Bush war in Iraq was comfortably in the past and not the present.

Stay safe, folks.

No comments: