Saturday, February 07, 2009

Rest in Peace, JW.

I have a couple of posts in my drafts folder that feature some of my favorite movie quotes. They are there as back up for when I have a long stretch with nothing else to say. Well, with the news that James Whitmore has died (hat tip to TDYL), I find it appropriate to post the requiem of Brooks, the convict he played so touchingly in The Shawshank Redemption:

Brooks: [narrating] "Dear fellas, I can't believe how fast things move on the outside. I saw an automobile once when I was a kid but now they're everywhere. The world went and got itself in a big damn hurry. The parole board got me into this halfway house called 'The Brewer'. And a job bagging groceries at the Foodway. It's hard work and I try to keep up but my hands hurt most of the time. I don't think the store manager likes me very much. Sometimes after work I go to the park and feed the birds. I keep thinking Jake might just show up and say hello. But he never does. I hope wherever he is he's ok and makin' new friends. I have trouble sleepin' at night. I have bad dreams like I'm falling. I wake up scared. Sometimes it takes me a while to remember where I am. Maybe I should get me a gun, an, an rob the Foodway so they'd send me home. I could shoot the manager while I was at it, sort of like a bonus. I guess I'm too old for that sort of nonsense anymore. I don't like it here. I'm tired of being afraid all the time. I've decided not to stay. I doubt they'll kick up any fuss. Not for an old crook like me." [carves "Brooks was here" into wood. Admires his work for a moment. Then kicks out the table beneath him and hangs himself]

No comments: