Sunday, August 20, 2006

Chicken Caesar Review: Harry's Seafood Bar & Grille

The first time I ever went to Harry's a year ago, I got an excellent shrimp Po' Boy. When I returned there recently for a second time, I decided to see if their salads were just as good. Their Classic Caesar Salad contains fresh-cut Romaine lettuce tossed with Harry's own Caesar dressing and topped with shredded Parmesan cheese. When the salad is topped with grilled chicken (which is extra), the total comes to just under nine dollars.

First off, the croutons are your standard pre-packaged variety, but are still above average. The chicken is freshly grilled and juicy, but are cut into strips. The tendency away from chunks and towards strips is increasing lately among restaurants (even on my favorite Chicken Caesar at Panera!), so I guess I had better get used to it. Where this salad really kicks into high gear is with the dressing. It does indeed have a unique flavor compared to others I've tasted and is an even split between an oily Caesar and a creamy Ranch. In fact, the flavor reminded me a bit of the sauce of that Shrimp Po' Boy I had before, but this is in no way a criticism. Lettuce and cheese are both fresh and in abundance and are well tossed with the dressing, resulting in a rich and thick salad (which somehow brought to mind those Caesars that they serve at the Pizza Hut lunch buffet).

The end result is a strongly flavored, uber-filling salad that won't leave you wanting dessert. It's not a light salad by any means, but if you want to chuck your cares about your wasteline for a meal out, then dig in.

No comments: