Tuesday, August 01, 2006

Skippy of the Day: Mel Gibson

No, I'm actually not going to discuss what everybody else is discussing concerning Mel and his run in with the Law. Enough has already been said.

It was Christopher Hitchen's commentary on these events that jogged my memory to something Gibson said over two years ago (thus, it doesn't really qualify as a current event "Skippy" post, but we'll let that slide). In an interview he made the following statement:

"My wife is a saint. She's a much better person than I am. Honestly. She's, like, Episcopalian, Church of England. She prays, she believes in God, she knows Jesus, she believes in that stuff. And it's just not fair if she doesn't make it, she's better than I am. But that is a pronouncement from the chair. I go with it."
In case you didn't catch that, he was referring to his conviction that his wife will not get into Heaven while he will. Thank you for that, Mel. You have provided a perfect example of how incredibly deluded someone can become when their devotion to earthbound dogma far surpasses their sincere faith in God.

And my sympathies go out to Robyn Moore, his wife of 26 years and counting.

No comments: