Monday, February 18, 2008

Beautiful poetry amidst flawed films

Mrs. Mosley and I watched Romance & Cigarettes earlier today. We agree that it's got a few great moments but is otherwise a failure. Near the end, though, James Gandolfini's character recites a line from a poem I had never heard of (by an Orville E. Kelly), but I'm glad to have now discovered. Here it is:

For My Wife, Wanda: Love Will Never Go Away

Spring, and the land lies fresh green
Beneath a yellow sun.
We walked the land together, you and I
And never knew what future days would bring.
Will you often think of me,
When flowers burst forth each year?
When the earth begins to grow again?
Some say death is so final
But my love for you can never die.
Just as the sun once warmed our hearts
Let this love touch you some night
When I am gone
And loneliness comes~
Before the dawn begins to scatter
Your dreams away.

Summer and I never knew a bird
Could sing so sweet and clear
Until they told me I must leave you
For awhile
I never knew the sky could be so deep a blue
Until I knew I could not grow old with you
But better to be loved by you
Than to have lived a million summers
And never known your love.
Together, let us, you and I
Remember the days and nights
For eternity.

Fall, and as the earth begins to die
And the leaves turn golden-brown upon the trees
Remember me, too, in Autumn, for I will walk with you
As of old, along a city sidewalk at evening-time
Though I cannot hold you by the hand.

Winter, and perhaps someday there may be
Another fireplace another room
With crackling fire and fragrant smoke
And turning, suddenly, we will be together
And I will hear your laughter and touch your face,
And hold you close to me again
But, until then, if loneliness should seek you out
Some winter night, when snow is falling down
Remember, though death has come to me
My love will never go away.

No comments: