Friday, April 18, 2008

Jacksonville Film Festival ignores it's roots

Ever since I cam back from the Florida Film Festival earlier this month, I've been singing the praises of the Enzian Theater to people. It truly was an awesome venue, and one that I'm determined to take Mrs. Mosley to see, if only for a day trip.

But this should not be construed as a slight against my own hometown one-screen movie palace that is the San Marco Theatre. The San Marco is still very near and dear to my heart (not to mention my house) and it will remain my number one place to see movies here in town.

So you can imagine my dismay yesterday when I read an article in the Jacksonville Daily Record that listed the venues for the 2008 Jacksonville Film Festival ... and the San Marco was not among them. The only reason they give for their choices was that they were "...limited to those with existing projection and sound equipment", which doesn't in the least disqualify either the San Marco Theater or Theater Jax in San Marco (also missing from the list).

So why? Your guess is as good as mine, though an inside source of mine hinted that the choice was a mutual one between the new festival director and the manager of the San Marco Theater. Either way, it's a piss poor one. The San Marco is the brightest light of cinema in this town, and for the festival to completely exclude it is insane.

I've attended the festival steadily for four years now, but I think I'll see a lot less screenings this year, if any at all. I'm certainly not going to take any time off work as in previous years. This year ... it just won't be the same.

No comments: