Thursday, May 04, 2006

Decisions, Decisions

With only two weeks left in the countdown, the JFF Schedule is finally out!

I'm actually going to see less this time around than I did last year. One reason is that they raised the prices on both tickets and 10-film passes (which are consequently not the great deal they were last year). I'm also going to be busy being a judge for the "Lost In Space" Alt Fest at the Library. At any rate, I've got my eyes on six films so far that I'll try and see:

F*&k - Well, with a title like that, how could I resist? Hard on the heels of The Artistocrats comes another documentary where a bunch of people deconstruct and analyze something filthy (this time a single word instead of an entire joke). George Carlin, of course, will be a major participant, as will be Bill Maher, Alanis Morissette and (gasp!) Ron Jeremy!

The Architect - Very little information seems to be about for this drama starring Anthony ("I'm an Aussie with an accent, but I keep getting cast as a NYC Italian") LaPaglia. IMDb gives this one sentence description: "An architect engages in conflict with an activist who lives in a dangerous complex the architect designed".

The Education of Shelby Knox - Here we have a documentary of a girl in Texas who changed from Conservative Southern Baptist to Liberal Christian and how that change came about. Although the subject matter sounds like great fun for Southern liberals like myself, it's also been described by some reviews as an incredibly moving drama.

Factotum - Who wants a nice thick slice of Charles Bukowski? I do! I do! Matt Dillon plays the protagonist here, and it's a great choice. After listening to him do the audio version of Kerouac's "On the Road", he should be well suited to the tale of a modern wandering bohemian.

Interkosmos - I'm a sucker for comedies in the form of history that never happened. In this case, it's an examination of the East German space program. The pictures that I've found taken from the film look incredibly goofy, but, of course, that's half the point, aint it?

Puzzlehead - By all accounts, this is a freaky little sci-fi drama in the tradition of Philip K. Dick. Very little information can be found beyond that, and even the official website doesn't give much away. It's all the more intriguing for it.

And then there's Lonely Hearts, a fairly large budget studio Film Noir shot in town (mentioned previously here). It will be preceded by a "Tribute Award", most likely given to star John Travolta. Unfortunately, seeing this film will pretty much prevent me from seeing both Factotum and Interkosmos. I suppose my mood (and Mrs. Mosley's leanings) will decide which will win out when that Saturday arrives.

No comments: