Saturday, February 12, 2005

Movie Quotes: "Glengarry Glen Ross"

I've written about David Mamet before. The man knows how to write interesting dialogue. So it's not surprising that actors line up for the opportunity to speak it. In my experience, "Glengarry Glen Ross" remains his best film not just because of the great dialogue, but also for the great actors that get to speak it. This includes Kevin Spacey, Alec Baldwin, Jack Lemmon and Al Pacino. It's one of Al's first speeches that I am presenting here. Not only is it a great little diatribe that he uses to put a possible client at ease, but it also ends in one of the greatest non sequiturs that I've ever heard (One could argue that the entire thing is non sequiturs, but that's neither here nor there).

Ricky Roma: "All train compartments smell vaguely of s**t. It gets so you don't mind it. That's the worst thing that I can confess. You know how long it took me to get there? A long time. When you die you're going to regret the things you don't do. You think you're queer? I'm going to tell you something: we're all queer. You think you're a thief? So what? You get befuddled by a middle-class morality? Get shut of it. Shut it out. You cheated on your wife? You did it, live with it. You f**k little girls, so be it. There's an absolute morality? Maybe. And then what? If you think there is, then be that thing. Bad people go to hell? I don't think so. If you think that, act that way. A hell exists on earth? Yes. I won't live in it. That's me. You ever take a dump made you feel like you'd just slept for twelve hours?"

No comments: