Tuesday, June 26, 2007

POTUS # Forty-(Three)

It is truly astounding that after all this time of being scrutinized, there are new levels of reprehensibility to be found out about our current President. I just stumbled across this charming little anecdote from eight years ago:

In the week before [Karla Faye Tucker's] execution, Bush says, Bianca Jagger and a number of other protesters came to Austin to demand clemency for Tucker. "Did you meet with any of them?" I ask.

Bush whips around and stares at me. "No, I didn't meet with any of them," he snaps, as though I've just asked the dumbest, most offensive question ever posed. "I didn't meet with Larry King either when he came down for it. I watched his interview with [Tucker], though. He asked her real difficult questions, like 'What would you say to Governor Bush?' "

"What was her answer?" I wonder.

"Please," Bush whimpers, his lips pursed in mock desperation, "don't kill me."
Can there be any more doubt as to how his little "Compassionate Conservatism" line was the biggest load of sh*t ever pushed onto the American Public? It's now even more clear how this man would want zero restrictions placed on him in terms of the use of torture. Brings to mind old Lee J. Cobb in 12 Angry Men, eh?

Juror #8: "Are you his executioner?"
Juror #3: "I'm one of 'em!"
Juror #8: "Perhaps you'd like to pull the switch?"
Juror #3: "For this kid? You bet I would!"
Juror #8: "I feel sorry for you... what it must feel like to want to pull the switch. Ever since you walked into this room, you've been acting like a self-appointed public avenger! You want to see this boy die because you personally want it, not because of the facts! You're a sadist!"
[Three lunges wildly at Eight, who holds his ground. Several jurors hold Three back]
Juror #3: "I'll kill him! I'LL KILL HIM!"

No comments: