Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Only drawback: No more waking up late

My brain is very burned out in terms of original blog content, so I guess I'll just comment on some random entertainment news:

Drew Carey picked to come on down as new 'Price is Right' host

I've always had an affection for Drew. Though I was indifferent to his stand up and his sitcom, he did two things that earned my respect.

First, he was able to get an American version of the hit British show Who's Line is it Anyway up and running. He even got some of the same comedians from the original show to come over and be regular guests (the American members, appropriately enough). No, it wasn't as good as the original, but it was a damn fine effort that had it's moments.

Second, the guy is smart. I remember seeing him on the celebrity version of Who Wants to be a Millionaire and kicking ass. Not only was he knowledgeable, but he was confident about his answers. You didn't see a lot on vacillating from him. Just pick an answer and go. It ended up winning him 500,000 dollars. The best thing about all this? He donated his winnings to the Ohio Library Foundation. Now that's a man after my own heart.

With this new gig, there have been some discussing what kind of a career move this is for Carey. This comment was posted by XQUZYPHYR over on Metafilter and pretty much sums up my take on the whole thing:
"Carey's job- for which he will be paid, likely a lot- will be to be pretty much adored by millions of people for hanging around beautiful women and handing people lots of money. My god, if that's a decline what hole can I crawl into for a chance at that?"



Have a nice, steady career, Drew. You've earned it.

No comments: