Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Forty-Two: Explained

For all those who were disappointed that I didn't include the most important number in the universe in its proper film context for my "100 Movies" clipshow, there are three reasons: (1) I hadn't seen the new Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy yet, (2) I was wanting to get the project done sooner rather than later and (3) I had heard unfortunate things about the film.

I was pleasantly surprised when I finally sat down to watch it last night. I enjoyed it so much that I almost feel compelled to write up a massive defense of the film after reading The Flick Filosopher's scathing review which she titled "Vogon Poetry". Ouch. No, it is not a faithful adaptation to the book, but the spirit is there, which I would think is the ultimate goal. But Maryann Johanson is apparently quite the uber-fan of the original book and it's hard to argue with a passion like that.

All I know is that late in the movie when Vogon troopers (dressed disturbingly like the Gimp in Pulp Fiction) advance on our heroes, Mos Def goes after them while flailing his towel about. "Oh no! A Towel!" they wail in their British accents as they waddle a quick retreat. It was such a supremely silly moment in a movie packed with them that I laughed out loud. Monty Python would be proud, and I believe Adams would have been proud, too.


No comments: