Tuesday, January 08, 2008

The Enzian

Plans for the Florida Film Festival continues.

Tickets are already in hand thanks to my lovely wife and, as of yesterday, I have now secured lodgings at the Best Western in Winter Park. It has served as the festival's headquarters in the past and will do so again this year, so I thought it the best choice. It also is only a block away from the Regal theater where many of the films will be playing, so it's definitely convenient.

Of course, the other major venue for the festival is the Enzian Theater; a quirky independent non-profit that shows art house cinema. When I first read about it, I imagined something similar to the San Marco here in Jax, which is a great restored Art Deco theater built in 1938. Imagine my surprise when I went looking for a picture.



Uh, that's a house.

Please don't misunderstand me. I don't mean to criticize it, but it's a bit of a shock. Also, I have to wonder what the Festival is going to be like here. It's not a high-capacity venue (at 230 seats, it's half the size of the modest San Marco), and it might take some serious queuing. Still, it would worth the wait if I could see a nice film in an environment like this:


Sweet.

No comments: