Tuesday, January 01, 2008

Giancarlo Esposito Quote of the Month: January 2008

What an interesting cat you are, Giancarlo Esposito.



Last year, with Delroy Lindo, I started and finished with Spike Lee films. And so it would appear I'm about to repeat that trend. Do the Right Thing was my first exposure to Giancarlo. I saw a clip on TV of him getting freaked out over a scuffed Nike (which seemed aporpriate, give that his character's name was "Buggin' Out"). The scuffer-in-question is a white bicyclist named Clifton (John Savage), who has recently moved into the neighborhood.

Buggin' Out: You almost knocked me down, man. the word is "excuse me."

Clifton: Ah, excuse me, I'm sorry.

Buggin' Out: Not only did ya knock me down, you stepped on my brand-new white Air Jordan's I just bought, and that's all you can say is "excuse me"?

Clifton: What, are you serious?

Buggin' Out: Yeah, I'm serious, I'll f*ck you up quick two times.

Punchy: Two times.

Buggin' Out: Who told you to step on my sneakers, who told you to walk on my side of the block, who told you to be in my neighborhood?

Clifton: I own this brownstone.

Buggin' Out: Who told you to buy a brownstone on my block, in my neighborhood, on my side of the street? Yo, what you wanna live in a Black neighborhood for, anyway? Man, motherf*ck gentrification.

No comments: