Tuesday, August 16, 2005

"Frozen Solid"

The more I read about the Tragic (and that's "Tragic" with a capital "T") crash of that Helios Airlines Boeing 737 in Greece, the more it chills me to the bone and makes me want to curl up in the corner into a fetal position.

You may think I'm exaggerating, but I'm not. There's just something about stories like that: a group of people trapped in a place where their fate is very much assured and there's nothing they can really do about it but wait for their death while watching people around them drop one by one. The details emerging from the story build a narrative in my mind that brings me to the brink of depression. No one, and I mean no one, deserves to die as those 121 people did.

Those of you who have visited my blogger profile will notice a book called A Prayer for the Dying. It was recommended by none other than Stephen King in Entertainment Weekly and turned out to be one of the most haunting novels I have ever read. Elements of this news story remind me of that book and makes me wonder if I should revisit it soon. I give it my highest recommendation.

That's it, folks. No funny ending to this post. Nothing funny to this at all.


(This can also be viewed at Blogcritics)

No comments: